Next Week’s Challenge….”Back to School”

double desk
{Courtesy of BHG}

Yep….it’s that time of year again, back to school! Instead of dreading it and moaning and groaning about it this year, we thought we’d put a fun spin on it! Next week’s challenge is all about “Back To School”…….show us how you stay organized, your creative teacher gift ideas,  crafty school supplies/crafts, etc. We can’t wait to see what you all come up with!

{Courtesy of Just a Girl}
{Courtesy of Funky Junk Interiors}

{ Fabric Covered Notebook…..courtesy of Imperfectly Beautiful}

One of my favorite things about back to school is making “happies” for our new teachers. For several years I have been making scrapbook paper covered composition notebooks. I usually pair it with a mini one for their purse and some personalized notecards. They’ve always been a big hit and I enjoy making them. But this year, I thought I’d try something a bit different. Instead of using paper, I decided to cover the books with fabric. I am loving the finished product! Let’s take a quick look at how I made these fabric covered notebooks…….

To adhere the fabric to the book and keep it from fraying when I cut it, I used Heat n’ Bond. It’s basically an iron on fusible webbing, also used for appliques.

I started by cutting a piece of fabric large enough to cover the front and back sides of the notebook.

Then I flipped it over and ironed the heat n’ bond to the back side of the fabric, per the product instructions. Once the two were adhered, this allowed me to trace my templates and cut out both pieces with no fraying.

Then I simply peeled off the protective backing, placed it right where I wanted it on the notebook, and ironed it directly to the composition book. A quick and easy project that also makes a nice personal gift!

I chose a coordinating fabric, cut a long strip, frayed the edges, and tied it around the notebook as a little embellishment. Now I want to make one for myself!

Doesn’t this make the cutest gift package? You can cover these notebooks in fabric or paper and they’re adorable either way. They are easy and inexpensive, but still personal and cute! People love ’em and you’ll be the talk of the teachers with your swanky “Back to School” gifts!

Now, go and get your creativity flowing and come up with something spectacular to show off next week for the “Back to School” challenge. The winners from this week’s “Mod Podge” challenge will be announced Friday afternoon, along with the winner of the Plaid product prize pack!

1. I love that Amanda!! That little notebook would make anyone happy! So cute! I am really excited about this challenge. It will be so fun to see all of the great back to school ideas. I need some!

2. Roo {NiceGirlNotes} 5 years ago

The notebook is sooo cuuuute. My kids are too young for school, but maybe I can come up with something. :)

3. Amanda @ Serenity Now 5 years ago

I love love love those cute little gift sets. :)

4. Doreen 5 years ago

Hi Amanda,
    SO, SO Cute and practical — similar, but different, to the teacher gift ensembles I create!

5. kate b 5 years ago

love this and will be on lookout for bonding stuff when I go to JoAnns….I picked up 6 of the compo books for 25 cents each a few weeks back…

6. Hilary @ KatrinkaJane 5 years ago

ALERT, ladies! The link under the first notebook pic (“{ Fabric Covered Notebook…..courtesy of Imperfectly Beautiful}”) does NOT link to Amanda’s site! Check the spelling of “blogSPOT”, because what’s typed actually leads to a VERY different site. :)

7. The VMCA 5 years ago

That is a lovely idea! So…fess up, where can we buy ‘heat n bond’ ?

8. Grace 4 years ago

Hi I am searching high and low to see how this double desk was made. Is there a link to where on the BGH site this came from? Thanks and I love your ideas. as a 1st grade teacher I would LOVE one of those notebooks!

9. Lisa 4 years ago

Would love to know the blue paint color on the double desk wall. Thx!

10. Courtney 4 years ago

I’d also love the low-down on the double desks. I’ve searched BHG with every phrase I can think of & can’t come up with anything. Thanks!

11. Dalene 4 years ago

Would love to know more about the bookcase turned into 2 desks at the top of the page!

12. Julia 3 years ago

I found a desk someone had DIY’d that’s similar to the BHG one featured here, and the rough sketch of her plans are on the site too! Look for it at – it was a january 2012 post I think.

13. Leslie McKerns 3 years ago

Here’s an idea if you want to create that blue wall shown in the picture with the double desks. Sherwin-Williams has a tool that will give you color numbers instantly. You go to the site install the Chip It! tool, then click on any picture on the web and the tool will show you paint chips and numbers beneath the picture. Cool!

14. Leslie McKerns 3 years ago

Teachers looking for crafty ideas for engaging homeschoolers? I’d appreciate it if you could take a look at a book I’ve just co-authored. Feedback would be great! The book is CLAM, filed with links to sources and resources for extending learning activities into crafts.

Thanks for taking a look…

15. Dalynn Anderson 1 year ago

Where can I get those baskets hanging on the bookshelf with the double desks????