Honeysuckle Pink Chalkboard

Honeysuckle Pink Chalkboard Tutorial

Aloha!

I’m Charlie (pink Charlie…not blue Charlie), and I’m visiting from Oahu today! I just started a little blog called Attempting Aloha to chronicle our renovations on the home we recently purchased here. But my crafts sort of crept in and took over!ย  I’m a chronic crafter and DIY’er, but I’m learning to live the “Aloha” life. ๐Ÿ™‚
Today I’m going to teach you how to make your very own Honeysuckle chalkboard paint. FROM SCRATCH! Yep, I first learned the secret ingredient from the craft queen herself via her Martha Stewart Living Magazine.ย  In their version, they used a flat paint like you would purchase in the paint section at a hardware store, but I really just wanted a smaller quantity to do a few Honeysuckle accents around my house and for Valentine’s gifts, so I thought I’d do some experimenting on my own with regular old acrylic craft paints and different proportions.
Here’s what you will need:
Dry Non-Sanded Grout (purchased this huge tin at our local City Mill hardware store for $1.50…this will probably last me forever)
Acrylic craft paints -White, Black, and Bright Magenta (Apple Barrel line by Plaid, found at Wal-mart)
NOTE: Our craft stores here on the island are somewhat lacking, so I wasn’t able to find anything perfectly matching Honeysuckle. I will give you my “formula” with those combined colors.
Measuring spoons and cups
Mixing cup or bowl
Paint brush or stick to stir
Step 1) Measure 1 1/2 teaspoons of the non-sanded grout and put in your mixing cup (this is very dusty, so please do this in a well-ventilated area).

Step 2) Pour in 1/4 cup of theย  Pepto Bismol Bright Magenta craft paint.

Step 3) Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of white acrylic craft paint.

At that point, I really liked the color, but I was going for perfection, and I had the Pantone website up and was trying my very best to match what I saw on the screen. I could tell I needed to mute it slightly with some black.

Continued on the Next Page…

Continued from Page 1

Step 4)ย  Add 1/8 teaspoon black acrylic craft paint.

Step 5) Stir for a couple minutes with a cheap paintbrush or stick.

(I’m not really left-handed, but I stink at taking pics with my left hand! ha)
This next pic is to show you that the consistency WILL BE SLIGHTLY LUMPY still. The grout is very fine, so when you brush it on, it spreads right out and isn’t noticeable at all.
ย
ย Step 6) Apply it with a sponge brush.
(Hey, look! I took a pic with my left hand!)

You will need between 1 and 3 coats depending on your medium. For my wooden calendar, I used 3 coats on top of a piece of 1/8″ MDF (I primed with Zinsser water-based primer).

As with any chalkboard paint, you will need to prep the surface once it is completely dry by rubbing a piece of chalk across the entire board (easiest if you turn the chalk on its side). Then erase completely, and it’s ready to go!

I also used it on some cardboard cereal boxes and made chalkboard Chinese take-out boxes. I’ve been planning to do this for my daughter to take to school as gifts and was excited to have some Honeysuckle to use! This time I only did one layer, and I did not prime it. I just cut the box and painted directly on the inside with the chalkboard paint. Then I used the Chinese take-out box pattern I designed (available as a free download on my blog) and cut it out.

So with that one bowl of Honeysuckle, I covered a 28″x18″ boardย  with three coats, and a three 12″x15″ cardboard boxes! Total cost for this chalkboard paint project is about $.35.ย  I can handle that.ย  ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you had fun learning with me, and I’d love to see what kinds of things you chalk up in Honeysuckle (or any other color with this tutorial for that matter)! Stop by to visit. The weather is beautiful, and we LOVE tourists! Aloha, Charlie

Jenni February 11, 2011 at 12:20 am

I LOVE this idea, and am so excited to try this out! And I also love how you made the chalkboard paint pink! ๐Ÿ™‚

Christine February 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Thanks for the great tutorial. The take out boxes are brilliant!

susan patrick harris July 10, 2011 at 11:54 pm

WOW WOW WOW! I can not wait to do this! <3

Mishelle July 14, 2011 at 12:34 am

This idea is fabulous! My daughter (2 yrs) will LOVE this in her bedroom!

Shelley July 29, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Awesome!

dannasc August 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

try framing your pretty colored chalk boards in fancy picture frames – should be cool

malina October 11, 2011 at 3:57 pm

What can you say about erasing it? Can use water? or do I have to have a special paint for it to erase easier?

sandy October 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

wow how super thank you for sharing will have to go shopping now … cant wait to have a go happy crafting and love sandy xx

cami October 21, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I tried this on an old framed mirror. It looked great, however, my daughter wanted to use the chalk markers instead of actual chalk. The only way to remove the “markers” is to use a damp rag. In doing so, the paint became soft and exposed the mirror in a few places. Do you have any ideas or suggestions to remedy this?

Abby October 27, 2011 at 7:16 am

Cami- That is usually an issue with any “craft paint”. What would work best for this is an exterior flat paint. They are designed to take a beating by the elements and stand up to scrubbing. In fact, I have used flat exterior pain in my dining room because I can actually scrub it without worrying about ruining the finish.

Look for mark down paint at your local hardware store, they are generally willing to re-tint it for free.

Teressa November 7, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Are you adding the black and white to get the perfect shade of pink you are wanting or is it necessary regardless of the color.. asking cause I tried this and for some reason I’m not having good luck =[ Lol.. and the only thing I did dif was used an orange and left the black and white out..

12. […] Update 09-11-11: Vandaag kwam ik een andere variatie tegen ๐Ÿ™‚ kijk daarvoor hier: https://thecsiproject.com/2011/02/09/honeysuckle-pink-chalkboard/ […]

redjanfan November 15, 2011 at 2:33 pm

What a fabulous tut, what a money saver, I’ve looked so often at the Tattered Angels chalk paints, but they were just not affordable for me at this time, although I LOVE their Glimmer Mist. This will allow me to try some projects I’ve been wanting to do. Have you tried it on fabric?

Angela January 24, 2012 at 6:37 am

I want to do a platter and just want the color to be black. Can I just combine all the amounts you used in the pink, white and black and that be the amount of black paint I should use? Also I want to be able to reuse with chalk board over and over so should I get exterior flat paint instead of the acrylic then? Thanks for your help with this! I can’t wait to do this!

Laura January 30, 2012 at 10:11 am

I will do this! Thanks soooo much!

Estelle January 30, 2012 at 10:39 am

You are just too cool!!! Thanks for sharing….

Marilyn January 31, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I plan to paint an old cookie sheet with my grand daughter so she can put it on her wall. she can then either use chalk or magnets to hold her treasures….thanks so much

Lisa Conant February 3, 2012 at 9:59 am

This is FABULOUS!! My daughter is feeling punky and is home from school today – she was next to me on the bed and saw this…and now she’s moving around her room naming off all the things ‘we’ can do with chalkboard paint, lol!!

Oh, don’t forget, though…2012 is leap year…you need a Feb. 29 on there! ๐Ÿ˜€

Ladytruenorth February 17, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Saw and repinned this on Pinterest..What a fab idea..and to think we were STUCK with boring old Black chalkboard for the rest of our days. Blessings on you for posting this! BIG HUGS and ALOHA! x LN

kk February 25, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I want to try it with this: http://witandwhistle.com/2011/12/21/diy-chalkboard-serving-platter/ but only in small sections. It prob. won’t work… Maybe a cutting board as a serving platter?

Kristen M. Mentasti February 26, 2012 at 4:24 pm

So very cool! Thank you for the great tips and ideas! <3 Tickled Tutu

Kristen M. Mentasti February 26, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Love it! Thanks for sharing! <3 Tickled Tutu

Melissa March 14, 2012 at 5:51 am

Wow that’s great. Wish I had seen this before I went all over Western Mass looking for colored chalk board paint. I was looking for this exact color. Found one small container for 5$ in a clearance bin, but it has also gone far. Made a chalk board in my daughters room on her closet door. As well as one in my kitchen! Will remember this for the next color I need. I need to fix the chalk boards on my daycare easels.

Dorothy March 18, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Your a genius girl, but you were a little vague when it came to telling us if you primed the MDF before you even started your project. And if everything you paint with chalkboard paint needs to be primed ? And if you wanted to wipe off the paint do you use a wet cloth ? Also if you wanted to make it look a little used can you use sand paper after you have finished painting it ? Thanks

Melisa April 24, 2012 at 7:26 am

Awesome. Repainted a double sided A frame chalk board yesterday and a wooden tool carrier in black. It is so cool and works like a charm. Thanks so much for sharing. Wonder if I can use this paint to re-purpose old furniture and then use a wax. Shabby chic?

26. […] Honeysuckle Pink Chalkboard […]

Moriah June 25, 2012 at 9:32 am

Do you think not rubbing it with chalk then erasing it will make a difference? I did this with wall paint and forgot to —————————> rub it wiht chalk then erase and it left a faded stain after I did that and left it on for about an hour…

Brooklyn. Age 14 June 29, 2012 at 11:56 am

You spelt February wrong…. Haha

Stephanie Bolton June 29, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Finally, a fellow crafter on Oahu! Thanks, this is a great idea for my toddler.

Barb July 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Now that I have converted all of my classroom chalkboards to whiteboards, I want to make this on the wall behind my desk! A little personal honeysuckle pink chalkboard:) Now, what did I do with all of that chalk????? Thanks for sharing this easy, peasy craft!

Christie July 5, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hi I loved your tutorial! Do you know if this would hold up as an outdoor chalkboard?

Thanks!

32. […] – I may be living under a rock on this one, but here’s a fun DIY to make chalkboard paint in whatever color you […]

33. […] – I may be living under a rock on this one as well, but here’s a fun DIY to make chalkboard paint in whatever color you desire. I could go crazy with […]

Ingrid August 24, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Love this idea… just shows that we are so conditoned to think in certain ways… just love to try it! Thank you

Morgan October 17, 2012 at 10:27 am

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGG! I am definitely trying this! It seems so cool! Where do u get the non-sanded grout tho? ————————————-> BTW, u forgot the 29th on february! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Morgan ๐Ÿ™‚

36. […] There are several different types of chalkboard paints available and most can be found at your local home improvement or crafts store. They come in varieties that are either brush or roll on and in spray can form. Canโ€™t find the color you are looking for? There are many great tutorials on how to make your own chalkboard paint in whatever color youโ€™d like, such as this one we found at thecsiproject.com. […]

Haley Till November 17, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Hello! I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer! The first is would it matter if I used black grout if I’m going to make a black chalkboard? I bought a bunch for a table I was making and decided to use clear resin instead, so now I’ve got ten pounds of black grout in my garage. Lol. The second question, how do you think this would work on a hard canvas? I have a few, I just don’t want to waste them and have it turn out weird because of the texture or anything. Thank you! I hope you can help!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Teri December 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I made a chalkboard for a Christmas present. I used a huge picture fram, and spray painted the glass with 3 coats of the spray on chalboard paint. The chalk did not write smoothly on it, so I used this method with 2 coats of non-sanded grout and black tempera paint. It turned out beautiful. The chalk wrote so smoothly and I thought my grandaughter’s Christmas present was a hit!! The problem is that when I attempt to erase, the chalk only smears. If I use a damp cloth, the black paint comes off. Does anyone have any suggestions before I toss the whole thing? Any suggestions would be be appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚ Teri

Linda DeCristofaro January 7, 2013 at 6:30 am

love the project. I use this method all the time. The only thing I do different is to premix the unsanded grout with a dash of water to make a paste before mixing it with the paint. It is nice and smooth and the little bit of water seems to help the paint spread better. Happy crafting!!

Jensen February 12, 2013 at 12:01 pm

@Teri
    Tempura paint has an egg white base which makes it dissolve in water. Next time use an acrylic paint. It has a plastic base so it will be permeant and water will be ok to use with it. It will also be a little thicker too, making it easier to have a nice finish on your final product.

Kimber February 18, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I mix 2 cups flat paint to 2 tablespoons un sanded grout and I blend it in an old blender… This makes it very smoot.

Nicole Nenninger February 23, 2013 at 9:53 am

Love this idea! I did a wall in both my daughter’s rooms–in black. Now I want to redo it in a prettier color! Thanks for sharing this!

Jillian Carter March 4, 2013 at 11:17 am

I was wondering if this chalk board paint is washable. I was thinking on using it on our white board considering we dont use it as what it is.

brittany April 19, 2013 at 8:11 pm

if i like the color i am using already, should i still do this amount of paint?

ndclark April 28, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Do you have to add the black and white with it? or can I just use the one solid color?

Kayleigh June 6, 2013 at 7:30 am

Can this be used on walls as well? Does the chalk erase well?

Lori June 22, 2013 at 10:46 am

Would love to have the total amount of acrylic paint used, for those that are not math minded, lol. I’m making a multi-purpose board and am going to have 1/2 of it be chalkboard so using all one color is going to be ideal.

Rosario July 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Hi! I tried this mix today -for which, by the way, thank you so much. Love the fact that you can do pretty much any color you want- and it was easy, it looks great, it works and everything. The only thing is that after, as I read in other place, “slating it” (by “lightly rubbing chalk along the surface and then lightly rubbing it off”) the surface looks far too… cloudy, if you will, as in, the chalk left a VERY noticeable trace. I tried three different ways and the less grout I used, the better it looked, that is, more clean. Or perhaps the cloth I used to rub it off was a bit too damp?
    Still, do you know what’s the answer? Because I’m afraid that using so much acrylic, when erasing the chalk, with time, the paint will peel off or something.
    Thank you so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jennifer January 3, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Just some color mixing advice, black is usually not the best color to use to darken another color as it can make it drab and dull. The best color to use to darken is the colors’ complimentary color on the color wheel. So for a pink color, you would want to add a little light green. For red, you would add green, and vice versa. For blue you would add a little orange. This will give you much richer color tones, and if you are trying for a nice rich black, mix equal parts of red and green.

1 2