Jen’s Quatrefoil Paint Project(s) & Free Printable Stencil

header pic

Hi! It’s Jen — from Tatertots & Jello

I’m here to share a fun paint project with you.

I have a slight obsession with Quatrefoil – I love that shape!

I have been wanting to make a quatrefoil project for a while now.

So in honor of The CSI Project’s first challenge — Paint, I came up with a couple of painted quatrefoil projects.

I have an old stool that was in dire need of a facelift, and a huge tray that I bought at Ikea because I loved the size, but not necessarily the print.

So I went to work on my computer and came up with a template that would work for a stencil. I printed it off –I used cardstock, but it would be easier if you printed it off onto shelf liner with a sticky back.  Then got out a new X-acto blade and cut out the lattice.

I put the cardstock on the tray, starting at the upper left hand corner and worked my way around the tray — holding the stencil on as closely to the tray as possible. If you use shelf liner, you can smooth it down so there are no loose edges and it will work much easier.

After each shape, I smoothed the paint with my brush, so the finish was smooth. The tray edges are the trickiest parts. When I was done, I went around the edges with a small paint brush — smoothing any rough edges.

I used a DISChanger to hang it on my kitchen wall — now I can take it off and use it as a tray whenever I need it!

[easyazon-image align=”center” asin=”B000TAOP70″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21z0tBoPzpL._SL160_.jpg” width=”160″]

[easyazon-cta align=”center” asin=”B000TAOP70″ height=”28″ key=”amazon-us-wide-orange” locale=”us” width=”176″]

Then I tackled the stool. There was some water damage, so I used my little mouse sander and smoothed the wood and paint.

Then I primed the stool — primer is wonderful stuff. Once the primer was dry, I spray painted the stool with Antique White paint gloss paint. I put three coats on it. Then I let it rest overnight.

Once it was dry, I was ready to stencil.  I tried a different technique on the stool than I had with the tray. I used the stencil to trace around the edges with a pencil. Then I took my paint and painted the shapes with my paintbrush. This technique worked well also. I ended up putting about 4 coats of the blue paint on the stool. Once that was dry, I added 4 coats of waterproof polyurethane gloss.

Here’s the quatrefoil stencil if you want to print one off for yourself : HERE

note — when printing, uncheck the “Size To Fit” box on your screen before you print it out.

And that’s my first quatrefoil project(s) — I am sure others will be coming up soon!

Ok, get YOUR paint projects ready to link up on May 24th.

We want to show off YOUR ideas!

And come back tomorrow — Beckie is going to wow you with a wonderful paint tutorial!

1. Tonia 5 years ago

Nothing like the power of paint

2. Ashley@BrideonaBudget 5 years ago

I absolutely love the stool! I want one!

3. Anita 5 years ago

They both look so great! And I just got rid of all of that shelf liner when we moved too. I love that design. I’ll have to use it on something!

4. KelliW 5 years ago

The stool turned out so cute! Such a big change from the beat up red on that you started with!

5. Heather@PixieDust 5 years ago

i love it!! I too have a thing for quatrefoils – i even made a painting for over my bed. I’ll be on vaycay the 24th, but i’ll try to link up.

6. PeaceLoveTerri 5 years ago

Love, love these!!

7. Jen…what an awesome project! I am in LOVE with quatrefoile right now. I will defnitely be using your printable stencil on something soon….love, love, love it!!! You are a genius, my friend.

~Amanda

8. Kari@Ucreate 5 years ago

Jen!
    This is AMAZING!! I will be printing this out and painting it on a canvas!!
    I’ll be featuring!

9. redberrybarn 5 years ago

Another amazing project! I am in love with this design!
    Have a great day, Jen!

10. RJ @ A Life Designed 5 years ago

Oh, I love them! Thanks so much for sharing your stencil.

11. Stephanie@cre8tive 5 years ago

Oh I love those! They caught my eye when I saw the post, it seems I am drawn to quatrefoils as well. I just think they are so classic and go with so many different decorating styles. I like your idea of printing it out on shelf liner paper. I am terrible with an exacto knife though.

12. Erin 5 years ago

Yay!!!!! Thanks for finding a way to get this quadrefoil pattern out there. I LOVE the stuff and haven’t been able to figure out a way to get it onto a project without buying a sticker version of it. Project with this coming soon from me. Thanks a million, these are so beautiful, I hope mine is just a fraction as good! :)

13. Kimberly 5 years ago

Fabulous! What an amazing transformation!

14. Michelle M. 5 years ago

Love it! I love quatrefoil!

15. Heather P. 5 years ago

Oh my word!! I LOVE this pattern, and your projects are fabulous! Thank you so much for the file! :)

16. becki 5 years ago

Squeak! I LOVE you for doing this. Re-dos get repetitive but I really REALLY love this one! L.O.V.E.

17. kristie taylor 5 years ago

love it!! awesome job as usual girl!

18. BlessedMommyof2 5 years ago

I can not stencil worth a toot, but that stepstool is just plain AWESOME! Makes me want to try again 😉

19. Missy Jackson 5 years ago

These were both really amazing. I just wanted to pass along a tip… If you didn’t use shelf liner and printed on cardstock, after you cut out your shape, all you would need to do would be to spray the cardstock design with spray adhesive. Basically the same effect as the shelf liner and is repositional too. Looking forward to many more projects. We are going on long summer RV road trip so can’t participate but will check in often to see all the goodies.

Missy

20. Stephanie Cameron 5 years ago

I so love this!! And super thank you for the printable…I am going to use it!! Quatrefoil is my favorite shape (thank you Heidi Klum!), but I didn’t know what it was called! My friend and I had a little discussion about it even.

21. frugal life project 5 years ago

Totally cool! I love it!

22. Sarah 5 years ago

Beautiful projects, Jen! I love your colors, too. Very functional, fun pieces- so inspiring.

Blessings!
    -Sarah

23. **Amy** 5 years ago

I love the patterns and colors. Great job…again! Loving your new site!

24. Apartment Homesteader 5 years ago

Super tutorial! I hope you don’t mind, I featured your project as one of my favorite things this week. http://apartmenthomesteader.blogspot.com/2010/05/fridays-favorite-things-for-ity-bity.html

25. What a fun blog. I really like this project. I’ve signed up to follow you and invite you to do the same!

26. Al 5 years ago

Super re-do, Thanks for sharing

27. Jane F @ Atticmag 5 years ago

Fun project for a popular motif right now. We’re big paint fans at Atticmag. Hope you can stop by if you have time. Jane

28. Kristen 5 years ago

i would LOVE to have this pattern.
    linked to here and can not find it…
    can you please message me. =)
    thanks SOO much.

29. Kristen Z. 5 years ago

Hi Jenn! I love this. Could you PLEASE tell me the color of blue paint you used? I tried so hard to make it by mixing blues and white, but it never looked like yours. Do you remember the brand or name?

Thanks!

30. The Old Block House 4 years ago

What wonderful ideas! Thank you for sharing.

31. I {heart} that stool so much! I linked to it on a recent post about quatrefoil.

32. Cassandra 4 years ago

I love you for posting this pattern template!
    I recently started up a blog, and used this in my first posted project! On a pillowcase. As a window shade.
    Check it out here if you like: http://justalittletinybitsometimes.blogspot.com/2012/01/bathroom-face-lift-reveal.html

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Cassandra

33. Neysa 3 years ago

Hello! I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a couple minutes of your time to help myself and some classmates in some home improvement research.
    Thank you so much and have a happy new year!

34. Jonathan 3 years ago

Please take a moment to fill out an anonymous 5min survey to help Pace University students understand the home improvement industry by clicking the link below.

Thank you!!

35. Loved this so much I featured it in my roundup of crafty quatrefoil projects here. Feel free to check it out and hope you like it!

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

36. Christa 2 years ago

Where is the free printable pattern?