Next Week’s Challenge — Mod Podge/Decoupage!

READ LATER - DOWNLOAD THIS POST LATER AS PDF >>CLICK HERE<<

I think Mod Podge might be the reason that I started blogging – LOL. I was on a mod podge kick and needed a place to keep my ideas. Over the years, I think I have tried decoupaging just about everything from frames and magnet boards to tables and trays to bar stools. I just can’t get enough of the stuff!

In honor of one of my favorite crafting mediums, I came up with a little project — my take on a Modern 3-D Fall Wreath.

I don’t know if you ever saw the Mary Engelbreit Home Companion Christmas magazine a couple of years ago that featured Amy Butler standing in front of her front door? Well there is this incredible wreath there and you can just barely see it but it’s very modern with round spheres. Ever since I saw that wreath I have been thinking about making something similar with circles.

Here’s what you need:

A round wreath form — mine is 12 inches with a flat top and sides. I found it at Hobby Lobby.

Ribbon (about 9 yards for a 12 inch wreath)

Gorilla Glue

Paint that matches your ribbon

Small Dowels or wooden beads.

Round Wooden Craft Circles (also found at Hobby Lobby) I used 2 packages – approximately 30 circles of different sizes

4 different patterns of decorative paper

Glue gun and sticks OR Superglue

And of course, Mod Poge (I used Outdoor Mod Podge since my wreath is going to be outside)

Here’s what you do:

• Put a dab of Gorilla Glue on the back side of your wreath form. Put one end of your ribbon on top of the glue and pin. Then wrap the wreath form with your ribbon tightly, overlapping the edges until the entire wreath is wrapped. End the ribbon in the same way you started – by applying a dab of Gorilla Glue and pinning it until it dries.

• Take your circles divide the circles into four equal piles with the same sizes of circles in each pile. Trace the circles from each pile onto your four different papers. So you end up with the same number of circles and sizes for each of your four papers.
  • Cut out all of your circles.
  • Cut your dowels to three different sizes — 1/2 inch, 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch. You only need about 5 of the 1 1/2 inch sizes, then evenly split the 1/2 inch and 1 inch sizes to match the number of circles you are going to make. I used about 30 circles on my wreath. **note — you do not have to use dowels, you can use small wooden beads too. I used two different sizes of wooden bead – one was 1/2 inch and the other was 1 inch. I then cut a dowel for the 5 taller circles using a chop saw.

• Glue the beads or dowels onto the back of the wooden circle. Once dry, paint the backs of the circles and beads the color that coordinates with your paper. let dry.

• Mod Podge your paper onto each of the circles. I applied a thin layer of Mod Podge to each of the circles and then to the back side of the paper. When I had done all of the circles, then I put a top layer over all of the circles. Let dry.
  • Then lay your circles out on the wreath to see what you want your placement to look like.

• Glue your circles onto the wreath. When gluing, hold the dowel straight onto the wreath for a few seconds until it is cooled or dry (depending on whether you are using Superglue or hot glue).
  • Cut 2 different coordinating ribbon and wrap it through the wreath and tie at the top.

Now get YOUR projects ready for the Mod Podge/Decoupaging Challenge!

We have a Mod Podge expert coming in to judge the competition!

And we can’t wait to see YOUR ideas!

Plus —  stop by tomorrow to see who Rhoda from Southern Hospitality picked as her #1 Pottery Barn Challenge project and TOP 10! There were so many wonderful ideas — Check them out!

The TWO winner of the Say It on the Wall Vinyl prizes will also be announced tomorrow.

This post sponsored by:

BWS tips button

READ LATER - DOWNLOAD THIS POST LATER AS PDF >>CLICK HERE<<
    Condo Blues August 27, 2010 at 12:53 am

I am in L.O.V.E. love with your wreath! One Modge Podge question. I’ve been Podging since I was a kid. Lately when I Modge Podge paper to something it goes on fine. Then the paper forms air bubbles as it dries. How can I stop that from happening?

Kara August 27, 2010 at 1:26 am

Love Mod Podge!!! So excited!!!

Ucreate August 27, 2010 at 1:39 am

WOW! This wreath is so unique and fabulous!
    Hmmm…I wonder who the guest judge is that’s an expert in Mod Podge…lol!

Fabulous challenge! Can’t wait to see the entries!

Ellie g August 27, 2010 at 1:44 am

I am SO not a wreath person. My tastes tend to be a lot more clean and modern, and most wreaths are far to country for me. But I LOVE THIS! Beyond love. This might actually get me to hang a wreath on my door. (that’s not for Christmas) It would be a first. It would be a miracle. You have perpetuated a miracle. Amazing.

Sandy August 27, 2010 at 2:48 am

What a trendy, modern take on wreaths ! Love the colours and patterns.

Paula August 27, 2010 at 6:38 am

This is so cute! I’ll bet we’ll start seeing versions of your creation all over blogland, just like with your burlap wreath.

Jennie August 27, 2010 at 9:25 am

LOVE! I can’t stop thinking of different themes!

Amy @ Positively Splendid August 27, 2010 at 9:42 am

Oh my word. I adore that wreath!!

Kate August 27, 2010 at 9:56 am

Your wreath is fabulous! I’ve got my project all ready…it’s one of my favorites!

Diane August 27, 2010 at 10:09 am

That is SO cute! What a great spin for a wreath! (I’ve never had a wreath before, but I think this is one that I could do!) Love it! 🙂

Our Nifty Notebook August 27, 2010 at 11:49 am

That is so cute!

Jen August 27, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Thank you for this great wreath idea…I’m excited to add it to my “to do” list:) Happy Frieday!

Jan August 31, 2010 at 8:53 pm

This wreath is totally GROOVY. What a great idea!

Lisa September 5, 2010 at 12:20 am

Do you have to have a blog to submit?

valerie September 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

ALL the pictures are broken. Is there another link to this project?

16. […] Next Week’s Problem — Mod Podge/Decoupage! Categories: Posts Notice: This work is licensed under a BY-NC-SA. Permalink: Next Week’s Problem — Mod Podge/Decoupage! Trial Of Your WeekLamps […]

17. […] 1. Natural Grass Wreath 2. Burlap Ruffle Wreath 3. DIY Leaf Wreath 4. Autumn Fabric Wreath 5. Ombre Rosette Wreath 6. Pumpkin Wreath (Photo Only) 7. DIY Fall Yarn Wreath 8. Yarn Pom Pom Wreath 9. Felt Fall Wreath Project 10. $5 Fall Wreath in 5 Minutes 11. Beautiful Orange Fall Wreath (Photo Only) 12. Unique Felt Wreath 13. Vintage Paper Leaf Wreath 14. Pine Cone Wreath Tutorial 15. Modern Fall Wreath […]

Minecraft Gameplay March 9, 2013 at 5:21 am

Why visitors still use to read news papers when in this technological globe all is presented on net?

19. […] Flower Wreath / Felt Leaf Wreath / Hydrangea Wreath / Yarn & Owl Wreath Pumpkin Argyle Wreath / Modern Circle Wreath / Embroidery Hoop Wreath / Autumn Owl Wreath Baker’s Twine Wreath / Glitter Leaf Wreath / […]

20. […] Modern fall wreath tutorial :: The CSI Project […]