Honeysuckle Pink Chalkboard

Aloha!

I’m Charlie (pink Charlie…not blue Charlie), and I’m visiting from Oahu today! I just started a little blog called Attempting Aloha to chronicle our renovations on the home we recently purchased here. But my crafts sort of crept in and took over!  I’m a chronic crafter and DIY’er, but I’m learning to live the “Aloha” life. 🙂
Today I’m going to teach you how to make your very own Honeysuckle chalkboard paint. FROM SCRATCH! Yep, I first learned the secret ingredient from the craft queen herself via her Martha Stewart Living Magazine.  In their version, they used a flat paint like you would purchase in the paint section at a hardware store, but I really just wanted a smaller quantity to do a few Honeysuckle accents around my house and for Valentine’s gifts, so I thought I’d do some experimenting on my own with regular old acrylic craft paints and different proportions.
Here’s what you will need:
Dry Non-Sanded Grout (purchased this huge tin at our local City Mill hardware store for $1.50…this will probably last me forever)
Acrylic craft paints -White, Black, and Bright Magenta (Apple Barrel line by Plaid, found at Wal-mart)
NOTE: Our craft stores here on the island are somewhat lacking, so I wasn’t able to find anything perfectly matching Honeysuckle. I will give you my “formula” with those combined colors.
Measuring spoons and cups
Mixing cup or bowl
Paint brush or stick to stir
Step 1) Measure 1 1/2 teaspoons of the non-sanded grout and put in your mixing cup (this is very dusty, so please do this in a well-ventilated area).

Step 2) Pour in 1/4 cup of the  Pepto Bismol Bright Magenta craft paint.

Step 3) Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of white acrylic craft paint.

At that point, I really liked the color, but I was going for perfection, and I had the Pantone website up and was trying my very best to match what I saw on the screen. I could tell I needed to mute it slightly with some black.

Step 4)  Add 1/8 teaspoon black acrylic craft paint.

Step 5) Stir for a couple minutes with a cheap paintbrush or stick.

(I’m not really left-handed, but I stink at taking pics with my left hand! ha)
This next pic is to show you that the consistency WILL BE SLIGHTLY LUMPY still. The grout is very fine, so when you brush it on, it spreads right out and isn’t noticeable at all.
Step 6) Apply it with a sponge brush.
(Hey, look! I took a pic with my left hand!)

You will need between 1 and 3 coats depending on your medium. For my wooden calendar, I used 3 coats on top of a piece of 1/8″ MDF (I primed with Zinsser water-based primer).

As with any chalkboard paint, you will need to prep the surface once it is completely dry by rubbing a piece of chalk across the entire board (easiest if you turn the chalk on its side). Then erase completely, and it’s ready to go!

I also used it on some cardboard cereal boxes and made chalkboard Chinese take-out boxes. I’ve been planning to do this for my daughter to take to school as gifts and was excited to have some Honeysuckle to use! This time I only did one layer, and I did not prime it. I just cut the box and painted directly on the inside with the chalkboard paint. Then I used the Chinese take-out box pattern I designed (available as a free download on my blog) and cut it out.

So with that one bowl of Honeysuckle, I covered a 28″x18″ board  with three coats, and a three 12″x15″ cardboard boxes! Total cost for this chalkboard paint project is about $.35.  I can handle that.  🙂 I hope you had fun learning with me, and I’d love to see what kinds of things you chalk up in Honeysuckle (or any other color with this tutorial for that matter)! Stop by to visit. The weather is beautiful, and we LOVE tourists! Aloha, Charlie

1. Ingrid 4 years ago

Love this idea… just shows that we are so conditoned to think in certain ways… just love to try it! Thank you

2. Morgan 4 years ago

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGG! I am definitely trying this! It seems so cool! Where do u get the non-sanded grout tho? ————————————-> BTW, u forgot the 29th on february! 🙂

-Morgan 🙂

3. Haley Till 3 years ago

Hello! I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer! The first is would it matter if I used black grout if I’m going to make a black chalkboard? I bought a bunch for a table I was making and decided to use clear resin instead, so now I’ve got ten pounds of black grout in my garage. Lol. The second question, how do you think this would work on a hard canvas? I have a few, I just don’t want to waste them and have it turn out weird because of the texture or anything. Thank you! I hope you can help!! 🙂

4. Teri 3 years ago

I made a chalkboard for a Christmas present. I used a huge picture fram, and spray painted the glass with 3 coats of the spray on chalboard paint. The chalk did not write smoothly on it, so I used this method with 2 coats of non-sanded grout and black tempera paint. It turned out beautiful. The chalk wrote so smoothly and I thought my grandaughter’s Christmas present was a hit!! The problem is that when I attempt to erase, the chalk only smears. If I use a damp cloth, the black paint comes off. Does anyone have any suggestions before I toss the whole thing? Any suggestions would be be appreciated 🙂 Teri

5. Linda DeCristofaro 3 years ago

love the project. I use this method all the time. The only thing I do different is to premix the unsanded grout with a dash of water to make a paste before mixing it with the paint. It is nice and smooth and the little bit of water seems to help the paint spread better. Happy crafting!!

6. Jensen 3 years ago

@Teri
    Tempura paint has an egg white base which makes it dissolve in water. Next time use an acrylic paint. It has a plastic base so it will be permeant and water will be ok to use with it. It will also be a little thicker too, making it easier to have a nice finish on your final product.

7. Kimber 3 years ago

I mix 2 cups flat paint to 2 tablespoons un sanded grout and I blend it in an old blender… This makes it very smoot.

8. Nicole Nenninger 3 years ago

Love this idea! I did a wall in both my daughter’s rooms–in black. Now I want to redo it in a prettier color! Thanks for sharing this!

9. Jillian Carter 3 years ago

I was wondering if this chalk board paint is washable. I was thinking on using it on our white board considering we dont use it as what it is.

10. brittany 3 years ago

if i like the color i am using already, should i still do this amount of paint?

11. ndclark 3 years ago

Do you have to add the black and white with it? or can I just use the one solid color?

12. Kayleigh 3 years ago

Can this be used on walls as well? Does the chalk erase well?

13. Lori 3 years ago

Would love to have the total amount of acrylic paint used, for those that are not math minded, lol. I’m making a multi-purpose board and am going to have 1/2 of it be chalkboard so using all one color is going to be ideal.

14. Rosario 3 years ago

Hi! I tried this mix today -for which, by the way, thank you so much. Love the fact that you can do pretty much any color you want- and it was easy, it looks great, it works and everything. The only thing is that after, as I read in other place, “slating it” (by “lightly rubbing chalk along the surface and then lightly rubbing it off”) the surface looks far too… cloudy, if you will, as in, the chalk left a VERY noticeable trace. I tried three different ways and the less grout I used, the better it looked, that is, more clean. Or perhaps the cloth I used to rub it off was a bit too damp?
    Still, do you know what’s the answer? Because I’m afraid that using so much acrylic, when erasing the chalk, with time, the paint will peel off or something.
    Thank you so much! 🙂

15. Jennifer 2 years ago

Just some color mixing advice, black is usually not the best color to use to darken another color as it can make it drab and dull. The best color to use to darken is the colors’ complimentary color on the color wheel. So for a pink color, you would want to add a little light green. For red, you would add green, and vice versa. For blue you would add a little orange. This will give you much richer color tones, and if you are trying for a nice rich black, mix equal parts of red and green.