Quantcast

MyCraftily Ever After

VMG 205

Challenge of the Week

Birthday Party Challenge

Honeysuckle Pink Chalkboard

Aloha!

I’m Charlie (pink Charlie…not blue Charlie), and I’m visiting from Oahu today! I just started a little blog called Attempting Aloha to chronicle our renovations on the home we recently purchased here. But my crafts sort of crept in and took over!  I’m a chronic crafter and DIY’er, but I’m learning to live the “Aloha” life. :)
Today I’m going to teach you how to make your very own Honeysuckle chalkboard paint. FROM SCRATCH! Yep, I first learned the secret ingredient from the craft queen herself via her Martha Stewart Living Magazine.  In their version, they used a flat paint like you would purchase in the paint section at a hardware store, but I really just wanted a smaller quantity to do a few Honeysuckle accents around my house and for Valentine’s gifts, so I thought I’d do some experimenting on my own with regular old acrylic craft paints and different proportions.
Here’s what you will need:
Dry Non-Sanded Grout (purchased this huge tin at our local City Mill hardware store for $1.50…this will probably last me forever)
[easyazon-block align="center" asin="B001JPBFXG" locale="us"]
Acrylic craft paints -White, Black, and Bright Magenta (Apple Barrel line by Plaid, found at Wal-mart)
NOTE: Our craft stores here on the island are somewhat lacking, so I wasn’t able to find anything perfectly matching Honeysuckle. I will give you my “formula” with those combined colors.
Measuring spoons and cups
Mixing cup or bowl
Paint brush or stick to stir
Step 1) Measure 1 1/2 teaspoons of the non-sanded grout and put in your mixing cup (this is very dusty, so please do this in a well-ventilated area).

Step 2) Pour in 1/4 cup of the  Pepto Bismol Bright Magenta craft paint.

Step 3) Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of white acrylic craft paint.

At that point, I really liked the color, but I was going for perfection, and I had the Pantone website up and was trying my very best to match what I saw on the screen. I could tell I needed to mute it slightly with some black.

Step 4)  Add 1/8 teaspoon black acrylic craft paint.

Step 5) Stir for a couple minutes with a cheap paintbrush or stick.

(I’m not really left-handed, but I stink at taking pics with my left hand! ha)
This next pic is to show you that the consistency WILL BE SLIGHTLY LUMPY still. The grout is very fine, so when you brush it on, it spreads right out and isn’t noticeable at all.
Step 6) Apply it with a sponge brush.
(Hey, look! I took a pic with my left hand!)

You will need between 1 and 3 coats depending on your medium. For my wooden calendar, I used 3 coats on top of a piece of 1/8″ MDF (I primed with Zinsser water-based primer).

As with any chalkboard paint, you will need to prep the surface once it is completely dry by rubbing a piece of chalk across the entire board (easiest if you turn the chalk on its side). Then erase completely, and it’s ready to go!

I also used it on some cardboard cereal boxes and made chalkboard Chinese take-out boxes. I’ve been planning to do this for my daughter to take to school as gifts and was excited to have some Honeysuckle to use! This time I only did one layer, and I did not prime it. I just cut the box and painted directly on the inside with the chalkboard paint. Then I used the Chinese take-out box pattern I designed (available as a free download on my blog) and cut it out.

So with that one bowl of Honeysuckle, I covered a 28″x18″ board  with three coats, and a three 12″x15″ cardboard boxes! Total cost for this chalkboard paint project is about $.35.  I can handle that.  :) I hope you had fun learning with me, and I’d love to see what kinds of things you chalk up in Honeysuckle (or any other color with this tutorial for that matter)! Stop by to visit. The weather is beautiful, and we LOVE tourists! Aloha, Charlie

[easyazon-block align="center" asin="B003ULND8M" locale="us"]

[php]if(function_exists(‘oiopub_link_zone’)) oiopub_link_zone(1, ‘center’);[/php]

Get More CSI Goodness!

Join the CSI Project Newsletter for our weekly tutorials, craft challenges, and linky parties straight to your inbox!

Enter your Name and Email below to subscribe...

Comments

1. I absolutely love those little takeout boxes! And thanks for sharing how to make custom chalkboard paint colors. Love this!

2. OMG! This is so cool! who would have thought that grout made it chalk board-y!! And those little take out boxes are adorable!

3. kelly says:

LOVE this! a whole new world has opened up… chalkboards in any color. thank you for sharing!

4. Robin says:

The take out boxes are so cute! Thanks for sharing the info on making custom chalkboard paint =)

5. Amy says:

What a great idea! And seems so much cheaper than buying chalkboard paint. I also like that you can make it whatever color you want! Yay!

6. Karen says:

GREAT IDEA! They are really cute. I love that you designed the boxes.

7. That is genius! What a great idea.

8. EEK! I have all that stuff on hand! I have big plans for some honeysuckle pink paint!

9. Cute!!! Way to experiment and make it work for you!! Love the color!!!

10. Mary says:

Thanks so much for the awesome How-To for chalkboard paint!! What a deal!

11. Bonnieb says:

Love this!! Thanks so much for sharing a tutorial!!

12. What an excellent idea! Who knew you could make chalkboard out of any color just by adding grout. I love this because I was just needing to make a chalkboard in a different color besides black. Great tutorial!

13. Shannon says:

BRILLIANT! That’s all. Just brilliant!!
    Shannon {aka}|design

14. Kim says:

LOVE this idea! There are only so many color options when you buy premade chalkboard paint, but now I can make it whatever color I want…perfect! Oh, and apparently I’m the only one who didn’t know honeysuckle was the color of the year – crap.

15. Tabitha says:

Genius! I’m bookmarking this to try it soon. Love that pink, too!

16. Jenni says:

I LOVE this idea, and am so excited to try this out! And I also love how you made the chalkboard paint pink! :)

17. Christine says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. The take out boxes are brilliant!

18. WOW WOW WOW! I can not wait to do this! <3

19. Mishelle says:

This idea is fabulous! My daughter (2 yrs) will LOVE this in her bedroom!

20. Shelley says:

Awesome!

21. dannasc says:

try framing your pretty colored chalk boards in fancy picture frames – should be cool

22. Mary says:

I LOVE your tutorial! Great information (I will USE this idea) and the Pepto Bismal and left handed camera comments were hilarious!!!! Thanks so much for this-you made my day! ;) (found you via Pinterest-just started that and LOVE)

23. malina says:

What can you say about erasing it? Can use water? or do I have to have a special paint for it to erase easier?

24. sandy says:

wow how super thank you for sharing will have to go shopping now … cant wait to have a go happy crafting and love sandy xx

25. cami says:

I tried this on an old framed mirror. It looked great, however, my daughter wanted to use the chalk markers instead of actual chalk. The only way to remove the “markers” is to use a damp rag. In doing so, the paint became soft and exposed the mirror in a few places. Do you have any ideas or suggestions to remedy this?

26. Abby says:

Cami- That is usually an issue with any “craft paint”. What would work best for this is an exterior flat paint. They are designed to take a beating by the elements and stand up to scrubbing. In fact, I have used flat exterior pain in my dining room because I can actually scrub it without worrying about ruining the finish.

Look for mark down paint at your local hardware store, they are generally willing to re-tint it for free.

27. Teressa says:

Are you adding the black and white to get the perfect shade of pink you are wanting or is it necessary regardless of the color.. asking cause I tried this and for some reason I’m not having good luck =[ Lol.. and the only thing I did dif was used an orange and left the black and white out..

28. redjanfan says:

What a fabulous tut, what a money saver, I’ve looked so often at the Tattered Angels chalk paints, but they were just not affordable for me at this time, although I LOVE their Glimmer Mist. This will allow me to try some projects I’ve been wanting to do. Have you tried it on fabric?

29. Ashley says:

Another website sanded after painting? What’d ya think about that? Do I need to prime metal ??

30. Angela says:

I want to do a platter and just want the color to be black. Can I just combine all the amounts you used in the pink, white and black and that be the amount of black paint I should use? Also I want to be able to reuse with chalk board over and over so should I get exterior flat paint instead of the acrylic then? Thanks for your help with this! I can’t wait to do this!

31. Laura says:

I will do this! Thanks soooo much!

32. Estelle says:

You are just too cool!!! Thanks for sharing….

33. Marilyn says:

I plan to paint an old cookie sheet with my grand daughter so she can put it on her wall. she can then either use chalk or magnets to hold her treasures….thanks so much

34. Lisa Conant says:

This is FABULOUS!! My daughter is feeling punky and is home from school today – she was next to me on the bed and saw this…and now she’s moving around her room naming off all the things ‘we’ can do with chalkboard paint, lol!!

Oh, don’t forget, though…2012 is leap year…you need a Feb. 29 on there! :D

35. Ladytruenorth says:

Saw and repinned this on Pinterest..What a fab idea..and to think we were STUCK with boring old Black chalkboard for the rest of our days. Blessings on you for posting this! BIG HUGS and ALOHA! x LN

36. kk says:

I want to try it with this: http://witandwhistle.com/2011/12/21/diy-chalkboard-serving-platter/ but only in small sections. It prob. won’t work… Maybe a cutting board as a serving platter?

37. So very cool! Thank you for the great tips and ideas! <3 Tickled Tutu

38. Love it! Thanks for sharing! <3 Tickled Tutu

39. Melissa says:

Wow that’s great. Wish I had seen this before I went all over Western Mass looking for colored chalk board paint. I was looking for this exact color. Found one small container for 5$ in a clearance bin, but it has also gone far. Made a chalk board in my daughters room on her closet door. As well as one in my kitchen! Will remember this for the next color I need. I need to fix the chalk boards on my daycare easels.

40. Dorothy says:

Your a genius girl, but you were a little vague when it came to telling us if you primed the MDF before you even started your project. And if everything you paint with chalkboard paint needs to be primed ? And if you wanted to wipe off the paint do you use a wet cloth ? Also if you wanted to make it look a little used can you use sand paper after you have finished painting it ? Thanks

41. Melisa says:

Awesome. Repainted a double sided A frame chalk board yesterday and a wooden tool carrier in black. It is so cool and works like a charm. Thanks so much for sharing. Wonder if I can use this paint to re-purpose old furniture and then use a wax. Shabby chic?

42. Moriah says:

Do you think not rubbing it with chalk then erasing it will make a difference? I did this with wall paint and forgot to —————————> rub it wiht chalk then erase and it left a faded stain after I did that and left it on for about an hour…

43. Brooklyn. Age 14 says:

You spelt February wrong…. Haha

44. Stephanie Bolton says:

Finally, a fellow crafter on Oahu! Thanks, this is a great idea for my toddler.

45. Barb says:

Now that I have converted all of my classroom chalkboards to whiteboards, I want to make this on the wall behind my desk! A little personal honeysuckle pink chalkboard:) Now, what did I do with all of that chalk????? Thanks for sharing this easy, peasy craft!

46. Christie says:

Hi I loved your tutorial! Do you know if this would hold up as an outdoor chalkboard?

Thanks!

47. Ingrid says:

Love this idea… just shows that we are so conditoned to think in certain ways… just love to try it! Thank you

48. Ryan Romig says:

Stumbling and fumbling through the rabbit hole with my friend’s help over on the book of faces this morning. This is a wonderful revelation to this poppa. There will be projects readied for our sprouts and the Girly Scouts. Thank you for putting yourself and your adventures out there for random folks to pop over and pick up on. Continue being awesome. Aloha!

49. Morgan says:

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGG! I am definitely trying this! It seems so cool! Where do u get the non-sanded grout tho? ————————————-> BTW, u forgot the 29th on february! :)

-Morgan :)

50. Haley Till says:

Hello! I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer! The first is would it matter if I used black grout if I’m going to make a black chalkboard? I bought a bunch for a table I was making and decided to use clear resin instead, so now I’ve got ten pounds of black grout in my garage. Lol. The second question, how do you think this would work on a hard canvas? I have a few, I just don’t want to waste them and have it turn out weird because of the texture or anything. Thank you! I hope you can help!! :)

Trackbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Attempting Aloha, Mom Endeavors, jennifer hadfield, The CSI Project, Carissa and others. Carissa said: tutorial on how to make your own chalkboard paint in any color and for super cheap! (from @csiproject) http://goo.gl/fb/S005m [...]

2. [...] Update 09-11-11: Vandaag kwam ik een andere variatie tegen :) kijk daarvoor hier: http://thecsiproject.com/2011/02/09/honeysuckle-pink-chalkboard/ [...]

3. [...] – I may be living under a rock on this one, but here’s a fun DIY to make chalkboard paint in whatever color you [...]

4. [...] – I may be living under a rock on this one as well, but here’s a fun DIY to make chalkboard paint in whatever color you desire. I could go crazy with [...]

5. [...] There are several different types of chalkboard paints available and most can be found at your local home improvement or crafts store. They come in varieties that are either brush or roll on and in spray can form. Can’t find the color you are looking for? There are many great tutorials on how to make your own chalkboard paint in whatever color you’d like, such as this one we found at thecsiproject.com. [...]