Honeysuckle Pink Chalkboard

I’m Charlie (pink Charlie…not blue Charlie), and I’m visiting from Oahu today! I just started a little blog called Attempting Aloha to chronicle our renovations on the home we recently purchased here. But my crafts sort of crept in and took over!  I’m a chronic crafter and DIY’er, but I’m learning to live the “Aloha” life. :)
Today I’m going to teach you how to make your very own Honeysuckle chalkboard paint. FROM SCRATCH! Yep, I first learned the secret ingredient from the craft queen herself via her Martha Stewart Living Magazine.  In their version, they used a flat paint like you would purchase in the paint section at a hardware store, but I really just wanted a smaller quantity to do a few Honeysuckle accents around my house and for Valentine’s gifts, so I thought I’d do some experimenting on my own with regular old acrylic craft paints and different proportions.
Here’s what you will need:
Dry Non-Sanded Grout (purchased this huge tin at our local City Mill hardware store for $1.50…this will probably last me forever)
[easyazon-block align=”center” asin=”B001JPBFXG” locale=”us”]
Acrylic craft paints -White, Black, and Bright Magenta (Apple Barrel line by Plaid, found at Wal-mart)
NOTE: Our craft stores here on the island are somewhat lacking, so I wasn’t able to find anything perfectly matching Honeysuckle. I will give you my “formula” with those combined colors.
Measuring spoons and cups
Mixing cup or bowl
Paint brush or stick to stir
Step 1) Measure 1 1/2 teaspoons of the non-sanded grout and put in your mixing cup (this is very dusty, so please do this in a well-ventilated area).

Step 2) Pour in 1/4 cup of the  Pepto Bismol Bright Magenta craft paint.

Step 3) Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of white acrylic craft paint.

At that point, I really liked the color, but I was going for perfection, and I had the Pantone website up and was trying my very best to match what I saw on the screen. I could tell I needed to mute it slightly with some black.

Step 4)  Add 1/8 teaspoon black acrylic craft paint.

Step 5) Stir for a couple minutes with a cheap paintbrush or stick.

(I’m not really left-handed, but I stink at taking pics with my left hand! ha)
This next pic is to show you that the consistency WILL BE SLIGHTLY LUMPY still. The grout is very fine, so when you brush it on, it spreads right out and isn’t noticeable at all.
Step 6) Apply it with a sponge brush.
(Hey, look! I took a pic with my left hand!)

You will need between 1 and 3 coats depending on your medium. For my wooden calendar, I used 3 coats on top of a piece of 1/8″ MDF (I primed with Zinsser water-based primer).

As with any chalkboard paint, you will need to prep the surface once it is completely dry by rubbing a piece of chalk across the entire board (easiest if you turn the chalk on its side). Then erase completely, and it’s ready to go!

I also used it on some cardboard cereal boxes and made chalkboard Chinese take-out boxes. I’ve been planning to do this for my daughter to take to school as gifts and was excited to have some Honeysuckle to use! This time I only did one layer, and I did not prime it. I just cut the box and painted directly on the inside with the chalkboard paint. Then I used the Chinese take-out box pattern I designed (available as a free download on my blog) and cut it out.

So with that one bowl of Honeysuckle, I covered a 28″x18″ board  with three coats, and a three 12″x15″ cardboard boxes! Total cost for this chalkboard paint project is about $.35.  I can handle that.  :) I hope you had fun learning with me, and I’d love to see what kinds of things you chalk up in Honeysuckle (or any other color with this tutorial for that matter)! Stop by to visit. The weather is beautiful, and we LOVE tourists! Aloha, Charlie

Personalized T-Shirt for Moms
On sale now! Use code "SAVE10" for an instant savings of 10%. Designs for dads, grandparents, and more.
  1. I absolutely love those little takeout boxes! And thanks for sharing how to make custom chalkboard paint colors. Love this!

2. Gina @ Temporary Nest 5 years ago

OMG! This is so cool! who would have thought that grout made it chalk board-y!! And those little take out boxes are adorable!

3. kelly 5 years ago

LOVE this! a whole new world has opened up… chalkboards in any color. thank you for sharing!

4. Robin 5 years ago

The take out boxes are so cute! Thanks for sharing the info on making custom chalkboard paint =)

5. Amy 5 years ago

What a great idea! And seems so much cheaper than buying chalkboard paint. I also like that you can make it whatever color you want! Yay!

6. Karen 5 years ago

GREAT IDEA! They are really cute. I love that you designed the boxes.

7. That is genius! What a great idea.

8. EEK! I have all that stuff on hand! I have big plans for some honeysuckle pink paint!

9. Kassi @ Truly Lovely 5 years ago

Cute!!! Way to experiment and make it work for you!! Love the color!!!

10. Mary 5 years ago

Thanks so much for the awesome How-To for chalkboard paint!! What a deal!

11. Bonnieb 5 years ago

Love this!! Thanks so much for sharing a tutorial!!

12. What an excellent idea! Who knew you could make chalkboard out of any color just by adding grout. I love this because I was just needing to make a chalkboard in a different color besides black. Great tutorial!

13. Shannon 5 years ago

BRILLIANT! That’s all. Just brilliant!!
    Shannon {aka}|design

14. Kim 5 years ago

LOVE this idea! There are only so many color options when you buy premade chalkboard paint, but now I can make it whatever color I want…perfect! Oh, and apparently I’m the only one who didn’t know honeysuckle was the color of the year – crap.

15. Tabitha 5 years ago

Genius! I’m bookmarking this to try it soon. Love that pink, too!

16. Jenni 5 years ago

I LOVE this idea, and am so excited to try this out! And I also love how you made the chalkboard paint pink! :)

17. Christine 5 years ago

Thanks for the great tutorial. The take out boxes are brilliant!

18. susan patrick harris 4 years ago

WOW WOW WOW! I can not wait to do this! <3

19. Mishelle 4 years ago

This idea is fabulous! My daughter (2 yrs) will LOVE this in her bedroom!

20. Shelley 4 years ago

21. dannasc 4 years ago

try framing your pretty colored chalk boards in fancy picture frames – should be cool

22. malina 4 years ago

What can you say about erasing it? Can use water? or do I have to have a special paint for it to erase easier?

23. sandy 4 years ago

wow how super thank you for sharing will have to go shopping now … cant wait to have a go happy crafting and love sandy xx

24. cami 4 years ago

I tried this on an old framed mirror. It looked great, however, my daughter wanted to use the chalk markers instead of actual chalk. The only way to remove the “markers” is to use a damp rag. In doing so, the paint became soft and exposed the mirror in a few places. Do you have any ideas or suggestions to remedy this?

25. Abby 4 years ago

Cami- That is usually an issue with any “craft paint”. What would work best for this is an exterior flat paint. They are designed to take a beating by the elements and stand up to scrubbing. In fact, I have used flat exterior pain in my dining room because I can actually scrub it without worrying about ruining the finish.

Look for mark down paint at your local hardware store, they are generally willing to re-tint it for free.

26. Teressa 4 years ago

Are you adding the black and white to get the perfect shade of pink you are wanting or is it necessary regardless of the color.. asking cause I tried this and for some reason I’m not having good luck =[ Lol.. and the only thing I did dif was used an orange and left the black and white out..

27. redjanfan 4 years ago

What a fabulous tut, what a money saver, I’ve looked so often at the Tattered Angels chalk paints, but they were just not affordable for me at this time, although I LOVE their Glimmer Mist. This will allow me to try some projects I’ve been wanting to do. Have you tried it on fabric?

28. Angela 4 years ago

I want to do a platter and just want the color to be black. Can I just combine all the amounts you used in the pink, white and black and that be the amount of black paint I should use? Also I want to be able to reuse with chalk board over and over so should I get exterior flat paint instead of the acrylic then? Thanks for your help with this! I can’t wait to do this!

29. Laura 4 years ago

I will do this! Thanks soooo much!

30. Estelle 4 years ago

You are just too cool!!! Thanks for sharing….

31. Marilyn 4 years ago

I plan to paint an old cookie sheet with my grand daughter so she can put it on her wall. she can then either use chalk or magnets to hold her treasures….thanks so much

32. Lisa Conant 4 years ago

This is FABULOUS!! My daughter is feeling punky and is home from school today – she was next to me on the bed and saw this…and now she’s moving around her room naming off all the things ‘we’ can do with chalkboard paint, lol!!

Oh, don’t forget, though…2012 is leap year…you need a Feb. 29 on there! 😀

33. Ladytruenorth 4 years ago

Saw and repinned this on Pinterest..What a fab idea..and to think we were STUCK with boring old Black chalkboard for the rest of our days. Blessings on you for posting this! BIG HUGS and ALOHA! x LN

34. kk 4 years ago

I want to try it with this: http://witandwhistle.com/2011/12/21/diy-chalkboard-serving-platter/ but only in small sections. It prob. won’t work… Maybe a cutting board as a serving platter?

35. Kristen M. Mentasti 4 years ago

So very cool! Thank you for the great tips and ideas! <3 Tickled Tutu

36. Kristen M. Mentasti 4 years ago

Love it! Thanks for sharing! <3 Tickled Tutu

37. Melissa 4 years ago

Wow that’s great. Wish I had seen this before I went all over Western Mass looking for colored chalk board paint. I was looking for this exact color. Found one small container for 5$ in a clearance bin, but it has also gone far. Made a chalk board in my daughters room on her closet door. As well as one in my kitchen! Will remember this for the next color I need. I need to fix the chalk boards on my daycare easels.

38. Dorothy 4 years ago

Your a genius girl, but you were a little vague when it came to telling us if you primed the MDF before you even started your project. And if everything you paint with chalkboard paint needs to be primed ? And if you wanted to wipe off the paint do you use a wet cloth ? Also if you wanted to make it look a little used can you use sand paper after you have finished painting it ? Thanks

39. Melisa 4 years ago

Awesome. Repainted a double sided A frame chalk board yesterday and a wooden tool carrier in black. It is so cool and works like a charm. Thanks so much for sharing. Wonder if I can use this paint to re-purpose old furniture and then use a wax. Shabby chic?

40. Moriah 3 years ago

Do you think not rubbing it with chalk then erasing it will make a difference? I did this with wall paint and forgot to —————————> rub it wiht chalk then erase and it left a faded stain after I did that and left it on for about an hour…

41. Brooklyn. Age 14 3 years ago

You spelt February wrong…. Haha

42. Stephanie Bolton 3 years ago

Finally, a fellow crafter on Oahu! Thanks, this is a great idea for my toddler.

43. Barb 3 years ago

Now that I have converted all of my classroom chalkboards to whiteboards, I want to make this on the wall behind my desk! A little personal honeysuckle pink chalkboard:) Now, what did I do with all of that chalk????? Thanks for sharing this easy, peasy craft!

44. Christie 3 years ago

Hi I loved your tutorial! Do you know if this would hold up as an outdoor chalkboard?

45. Ingrid 3 years ago

Love this idea… just shows that we are so conditoned to think in certain ways… just love to try it! Thank you

46. Morgan 3 years ago

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGG! I am definitely trying this! It seems so cool! Where do u get the non-sanded grout tho? ————————————-> BTW, u forgot the 29th on february! :)

-Morgan :)

47. Haley Till 3 years ago

Hello! I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer! The first is would it matter if I used black grout if I’m going to make a black chalkboard? I bought a bunch for a table I was making and decided to use clear resin instead, so now I’ve got ten pounds of black grout in my garage. Lol. The second question, how do you think this would work on a hard canvas? I have a few, I just don’t want to waste them and have it turn out weird because of the texture or anything. Thank you! I hope you can help!! :)

48. Teri 3 years ago

I made a chalkboard for a Christmas present. I used a huge picture fram, and spray painted the glass with 3 coats of the spray on chalboard paint. The chalk did not write smoothly on it, so I used this method with 2 coats of non-sanded grout and black tempera paint. It turned out beautiful. The chalk wrote so smoothly and I thought my grandaughter’s Christmas present was a hit!! The problem is that when I attempt to erase, the chalk only smears. If I use a damp cloth, the black paint comes off. Does anyone have any suggestions before I toss the whole thing? Any suggestions would be be appreciated :-) Teri

49. Linda DeCristofaro 3 years ago

love the project. I use this method all the time. The only thing I do different is to premix the unsanded grout with a dash of water to make a paste before mixing it with the paint. It is nice and smooth and the little bit of water seems to help the paint spread better. Happy crafting!!

50. Jensen 3 years ago

Tempura paint has an egg white base which makes it dissolve in water. Next time use an acrylic paint. It has a plastic base so it will be permeant and water will be ok to use with it. It will also be a little thicker too, making it easier to have a nice finish on your final product.