Jen’s Quatrefoil Paint Project(s) & Free Printable Stencil

Hi! It’s Jen — from Tatertots & Jello

I’m here to share a fun paint project with you.

I have a slight obsession with Quatrefoil – I love that shape!

I have been wanting to make a quatrefoil project for a while now.

So in honor of The CSI Project’s first challenge — Paint, I came up with a couple of painted quatrefoil projects.

I have an old stool that was in dire need of a facelift, and a huge tray that I bought at Ikea because I loved the size, but not necessarily the print.

So I went to work on my computer and came up with a template that would work for a stencil. I printed it off –I used cardstock, but it would be easier if you printed it off onto shelf liner with a sticky back.  Then got out a new X-acto blade and cut out the lattice.

I put the cardstock on the tray, starting at the upper left hand corner and worked my way around the tray — holding the stencil on as closely to the tray as possible. If you use shelf liner, you can smooth it down so there are no loose edges and it will work much easier.

After each shape, I smoothed the paint with my brush, so the finish was smooth. The tray edges are the trickiest parts. When I was done, I went around the edges with a small paint brush — smoothing any rough edges.

I used a DISChanger to hang it on my kitchen wall — now I can take it off and use it as a tray whenever I need it!

[easyazon-image align=”center” asin=”B000TAOP70″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21z0tBoPzpL._SL160_.jpg” width=”160″]

[easyazon-cta align=”center” asin=”B000TAOP70″ height=”28″ key=”amazon-us-wide-orange” locale=”us” width=”176″]

Then I tackled the stool. There was some water damage, so I used my little mouse sander and smoothed the wood and paint.

Then I primed the stool — primer is wonderful stuff. Once the primer was dry, I spray painted the stool with Antique White paint gloss paint. I put three coats on it. Then I let it rest overnight.

Once it was dry, I was ready to stencil.  I tried a different technique on the stool than I had with the tray. I used the stencil to trace around the edges with a pencil. Then I took my paint and painted the shapes with my paintbrush. This technique worked well also. I ended up putting about 4 coats of the blue paint on the stool. Once that was dry, I added 4 coats of waterproof polyurethane gloss.

Here’s the quatrefoil stencil if you want to print one off for yourself : HERE

note — when printing, uncheck the “Size To Fit” box on your screen before you print it out.

And that’s my first quatrefoil project(s) — I am sure others will be coming up soon!

Ok, get YOUR paint projects ready to link up on May 24th.

We want to show off YOUR ideas!

And come back tomorrow — Beckie is going to wow you with a wonderful paint tutorial!

Tonia May 18, 2010 at 5:26 am

Nothing like the power of paint

Anita May 18, 2010 at 6:31 am

They both look so great! And I just got rid of all of that shelf liner when we moved too. I love that design. I’ll have to use it on something!

KelliW May 18, 2010 at 6:37 am

The stool turned out so cute! Such a big change from the beat up red on that you started with!

PeaceLoveTerri May 18, 2010 at 9:53 am

Love, love these!!

redberrybarn May 18, 2010 at 10:52 am

Another amazing project! I am in love with this design!
    Have a great day, Jen!

RJ @ A Life Designed May 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Oh, I love them! Thanks so much for sharing your stencil.

Erin May 18, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Yay!!!!! Thanks for finding a way to get this quadrefoil pattern out there. I LOVE the stuff and haven’t been able to figure out a way to get it onto a project without buying a sticker version of it. Project with this coming soon from me. Thanks a million, these are so beautiful, I hope mine is just a fraction as good! 🙂

Kimberly May 18, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Fabulous! What an amazing transformation!

Michelle M. May 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Love it! I love quatrefoil!

Heather P. May 18, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Oh my word!! I LOVE this pattern, and your projects are fabulous! Thank you so much for the file! 🙂

becki May 18, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Squeak! I LOVE you for doing this. Re-dos get repetitive but I really REALLY love this one! L.O.V.E.

kristie taylor May 18, 2010 at 8:27 pm

love it!! awesome job as usual girl!

BlessedMommyof2 May 18, 2010 at 9:04 pm

I can not stencil worth a toot, but that stepstool is just plain AWESOME! Makes me want to try again 😉

Missy Jackson May 18, 2010 at 10:14 pm

These were both really amazing. I just wanted to pass along a tip… If you didn’t use shelf liner and printed on cardstock, after you cut out your shape, all you would need to do would be to spray the cardstock design with spray adhesive. Basically the same effect as the shelf liner and is repositional too. Looking forward to many more projects. We are going on long summer RV road trip so can’t participate but will check in often to see all the goodies.

Missy

Stephanie Cameron May 19, 2010 at 12:50 am

I so love this!! And super thank you for the printable…I am going to use it!! Quatrefoil is my favorite shape (thank you Heidi Klum!), but I didn’t know what it was called! My friend and I had a little discussion about it even.

frugal life project May 19, 2010 at 2:35 am

Totally cool! I love it!

Sarah May 19, 2010 at 7:36 am

Beautiful projects, Jen! I love your colors, too. Very functional, fun pieces- so inspiring.

Blessings!
    -Sarah

**Amy** May 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I love the patterns and colors. Great job…again! Loving your new site!

Apartment Homesteader May 21, 2010 at 12:49 am

Super tutorial! I hope you don’t mind, I featured your project as one of my favorite things this week. http://apartmenthomesteader.blogspot.com/2010/05/fridays-favorite-things-for-ity-bity.html

Al May 21, 2010 at 6:55 am

Super re-do, Thanks for sharing

Jane F @ Atticmag May 21, 2010 at 9:25 am

Fun project for a popular motif right now. We’re big paint fans at Atticmag. Hope you can stop by if you have time. Jane

22. […] started with this unique stencil brought to you by Jennifer at Tatertots and Jello via The CSI Project. You can download your own stencil, using heavy card-stock, right […]

23. […] space on a budget, but they have really rad freebies, like this stencil that was contributed by The CSI project. Print that mother out and finally give a facelift to that endtable that has been bugging you for […]

24. […] from The CSI Project. […]

Organized Pantry November 5, 2010 at 11:10 am

[…] […]

Kristen January 10, 2011 at 3:13 am

i would LOVE to have this pattern.
    linked to here and can not find it…
    can you please message me. =)
    thanks SOO much.

Kristen Z. February 23, 2011 at 7:19 am

Hi Jenn! I love this. Could you PLEASE tell me the color of blue paint you used? I tried so hard to make it by mixing blues and white, but it never looked like yours. Do you remember the brand or name?

Thanks!

The Old Block House March 15, 2011 at 11:51 pm

What wonderful ideas! Thank you for sharing.

Kelli @ A House to Fill March 31, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I {heart} that stool so much! I linked to it on a recent post about quatrefoil.

30. […] Alternatively, I bet it would be an easy stencil to make. Jen from Tatertots and Jello has a nice tutorial on her stenciled quatrefoil pattern. I think I would cut mine out of a harder plastic like […]

Teach me Tuesday: Quatrefoil « HFoP April 26, 2011 at 7:31 am

[…] […]

32. […] course, quatrefoil is everywhere these days and it’s a pattern that I love. When I saw this stencil I knew I wanted to try it. It was fairly easy and quick to cut out, I used my fiskars fingertip […]

33. […] out the Anson collection of The Lettered Olive or create your own quatrefoil platter with this DIY step-by-step tutorial! Not feeling crafty? Purchase ready-made and personalized melamine plates that are perfect […]

Cassandra January 22, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I love you for posting this pattern template!
    I recently started up a blog, and used this in my first posted project! On a pillowcase. As a window shade.
    Check it out here if you like: http://justalittletinybitsometimes.blogspot.com/2012/01/bathroom-face-lift-reveal.html

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Cassandra

35. […] shape for a while now. Note — a Quatrefoil wreath is coming up soon. In honor of The CSI Project’s first challenge — Paint, I made a couple of painted quatrefoil projects out of an old stool […]

Neysa January 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Hello! I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a couple minutes of your time to help myself and some classmates in some home improvement research.
    Thank you so much and have a happy new year!

Jonathan January 11, 2013 at 2:02 am

Please take a moment to fill out an anonymous 5min survey to help Pace University students understand the home improvement industry by clicking the link below.

Thank you!!

Mel the Crafty Scientist March 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Loved this so much I featured it in my roundup of crafty quatrefoil projects here. Feel free to check it out and hope you like it!

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

16 Quatrefoil Crafts to Make {diy} July 6, 2013 at 12:00 am

40. […]  Printable Stencil for a Furniture Makeover ~ You can print out this cool Quatrefoil shaped stencil, cut it with an exacto knife and you are […]

Orange Creamsicle Side Table January 11, 2014 at 11:19 pm

[…] needed a stencil so I went to google and typed in Free Printable Stencils and found this one (click here if you would like a copy of the stencil.)   I printed it out using Premium Photo Paper, then cut […]

Christa February 5, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Where is the free printable pattern?