Behr Paint Winner!
May 17, 2010
Color Wash Tutorial
May 19, 2010

Jen’s Quatrefoil Paint Project(s) & Free Printable Stencil

Hi! It’s Jen — from Tatertots & Jello

I’m here to share a fun paint project with you.

I have a slight obsession with Quatrefoil – I love that shape!

I have been wanting to make a quatrefoil project for a while now.

So in honor of The CSI Project’s first challenge — Paint, I came up with a couple of painted quatrefoil projects.

I have an old stool that was in dire need of a facelift, and a huge tray that I bought at Ikea because I loved the size, but not necessarily the print.

So I went to work on my computer and came up with a template that would work for a stencil. I printed it off –I used cardstock, but it would be easier if you printed it off onto shelf liner with a sticky back.  Then got out a new X-acto blade and cut out the lattice.

I put the cardstock on the tray, starting at the upper left hand corner and worked my way around the tray — holding the stencil on as closely to the tray as possible. If you use shelf liner, you can smooth it down so there are no loose edges and it will work much easier.

After each shape, I smoothed the paint with my brush, so the finish was smooth. The tray edges are the trickiest parts. When I was done, I went around the edges with a small paint brush — smoothing any rough edges.

I used a DISChanger to hang it on my kitchen wall — now I can take it off and use it as a tray whenever I need it!

[easyazon-image align=”center” asin=”B000TAOP70″ locale=”us” height=”160″ src=”http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21z0tBoPzpL._SL160_.jpg” width=”160″]

[easyazon-cta align=”center” asin=”B000TAOP70″ height=”28″ key=”amazon-us-wide-orange” locale=”us” width=”176″]

Then I tackled the stool. There was some water damage, so I used my little mouse sander and smoothed the wood and paint.

Then I primed the stool — primer is wonderful stuff. Once the primer was dry, I spray painted the stool with Antique White paint gloss paint. I put three coats on it. Then I let it rest overnight.

Once it was dry, I was ready to stencil.  I tried a different technique on the stool than I had with the tray. I used the stencil to trace around the edges with a pencil. Then I took my paint and painted the shapes with my paintbrush. This technique worked well also. I ended up putting about 4 coats of the blue paint on the stool. Once that was dry, I added 4 coats of waterproof polyurethane gloss.

Here’s the quatrefoil stencil if you want to print one off for yourself : HERE

note — when printing, uncheck the “Size To Fit” box on your screen before you print it out.

And that’s my first quatrefoil project(s) — I am sure others will be coming up soon!

Ok, get YOUR paint projects ready to link up on May 24th.

We want to show off YOUR ideas!

And come back tomorrow — Beckie is going to wow you with a wonderful paint tutorial!

1. […] Quatrefoil is a beautiful look – it may remind you of those yummy Girl Scout cookies. Well, if you really love it, you can use it to create beautiful furniture pieces. Imagine a table with the Quatrefoil look on top or even a lamp with this design on the base. Whatever you want, you can create it and give it a unique appearance when you pain on the Quatrefoil design. Via: Thecsiproject – Jen’s Quatrefoil Paint Project(s) & Free Printable Stencil […]

2. Christa says:

Where is the free printable pattern?

3. Loved this so much I featured it in my roundup of crafty quatrefoil projects here. Feel free to check it out and hope you like it!

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

4. Jonathan says:

Please take a moment to fill out an anonymous 5min survey to help Pace University students understand the home improvement industry by clicking the link below.

Thank you!!

5. Neysa says:

Hello! I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a couple minutes of your time to help myself and some classmates in some home improvement research.
    Thank you so much and have a happy new year!

6. Cassandra says:

I love you for posting this pattern template!
    I recently started up a blog, and used this in my first posted project! On a pillowcase. As a window shade.
    Check it out here if you like: http://justalittletinybitsometimes.blogspot.com/2012/01/bathroom-face-lift-reveal.html

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Cassandra

7. I {heart} that stool so much! I linked to it on a recent post about quatrefoil.

8. What wonderful ideas! Thank you for sharing.

9. Kristen Z. says:

Hi Jenn! I love this. Could you PLEASE tell me the color of blue paint you used? I tried so hard to make it by mixing blues and white, but it never looked like yours. Do you remember the brand or name?

Thanks!

10. Kristen says:

i would LOVE to have this pattern.
    linked to here and can not find it…
    can you please message me. =)
    thanks SOO much.

11. Fun project for a popular motif right now. We’re big paint fans at Atticmag. Hope you can stop by if you have time. Jane

12. Al says:

Super re-do, Thanks for sharing

13. What a fun blog. I really like this project. I’ve signed up to follow you and invite you to do the same!

14. Super tutorial! I hope you don’t mind, I featured your project as one of my favorite things this week. http://apartmenthomesteader.blogspot.com/2010/05/fridays-favorite-things-for-ity-bity.html

15. **Amy** says:

I love the patterns and colors. Great job…again! Loving your new site!

16. Sarah says:

Beautiful projects, Jen! I love your colors, too. Very functional, fun pieces- so inspiring.

Blessings!
    -Sarah

17. Totally cool! I love it!

18. I so love this!! And super thank you for the printable…I am going to use it!! Quatrefoil is my favorite shape (thank you Heidi Klum!), but I didn’t know what it was called! My friend and I had a little discussion about it even.