Welcome to the Martha Stewart-inspired Challenge!
June 8, 2010
Martha Stewart Challenge Update
June 11, 2010

Next Week’s Challenge : Dollar Store

Thanks to everyone who linked up for the Martha Stewart inspired challenge this week! It was so fun looking through all your fabulous projects.

While our judges from Martha’s Crafts Department are going through all the links, we’d like to introduce next week’s theme :

“Dollar Store”

To get those creative juices flowing, I thought I’d share a fun dollar store project I came up with……

Zipper Flower Embellishments

Zippers are hot lately…..I ‘ve seen them everywhere….embellishing shoes, clothing, even jewelry. So, when I spotted some metal zippers at one of our local dollar stores, I quickly grabbed them up! I had the perfect project in mind.

I used a cheapo dollar store cuff bracelet and wrapped it with some sassy ribbon I had. It’s a stretchy, lacey, ruffley trim that I thought would be the perfect girly compliment to my edgy zipper flowers. To make the flowers, first you need to unzip the zipper and then cut it right above the zipper pull. This will give you two strips of zipper. Then I simply started wrapping it in a circle, dabbing hot glue as I went to hold it all in place. When you’re done wrapping, you can then attach a circle of felt to the back of the flower. And hot glue that on top of your ribbon wrapped bracelet.

When I finished the bracelet, I wanted more. So, I decided to embellish my favorite pair of peeptoe pumps.  Instead of using hot glue this time, I decided to use sticky velcro strips. Then I can take them off and on when I want a change or I can embellish a different pair of shoes.

My 11 year old son took these pictures of my feet and I think he did a fine job. He might be my new blog photographer. You know you’ve fully indoctrinated your family into the wonderful world of blogging when you ask your pre-teen son to take pictures of your feet and hands and he doesn’t bat an eye! No laughing or eye rolling or even mocking….he just said, “Okay Mom”. Then he quickly decided he was 11 again and took this funny zipper face pic.

We are super excited to see how creative you crafty gals can be with dollar store treasures next week! You’ve got all weekend to work on your projects. Don’t forget to come back on Tuesday and link them up!

Check back tomorrow morning when we announce the top picks from Martha Stewart’s Crafts Department and the giveaway winner!!!

This post brought to you by:

That Painter Lady

We Linked To:

The Girl CreativeThe DIY Show OffSumo's Sweet Stuff

1. Oh and I can’t wait for this one

2. i LOVE a good shoe-re-do! totally cute… velcro is a great idea! my seven yr old daughter is my photographer 🙂 she is pretty serious about it she tells me how to pose and everything…(i think i’m in trouble) love your blog can’t wait to see what you do next!

3. mary says:

Darn wish I could join next week but we are getting ready to leave for a week long conference. Well it will be fun to see what everyone else comes up with !

4. jenjen says:

Those shoes are too cute! I want to make some for mine. And I love that you used velcro so you can switch out the embellishments. Such a cute project Amanda!

XOXO
    jen

5. Your zipper flowers are simply fab! Great shoes, too!!

6. Dana Nichols says:

Too cute!! I have a whole bag of old zippers that someone gave me. Now I know what I will be doing with them.

Here’s a tip: Waaaaaay back in the day, when we had bows on our shoes matching every outfit, my mother sewed paperclips on the back. You just slip the paperclip inside the shoe and it stayed in place, but you really couldn’t feel it. I think this would work great for these and you don’t have to put velcro on your shoes.

7. J. Hill says:

Very cute, and wearing them on your shoes keeps from having the zippers catch on your clothes.

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

8. Amanda says:

J…..very good point! Thanks for stopping by.

~Amanda

9. Amanda says:

Dana…that’s a great tip! I have another set of zipper flowers I think I’ll use your idea on….thanks for the inspiration!

~Amanda

10. Amanda says:

Thank you ma’am! I felt like a rock star at church last Sunday in them! Thanks so much for being our guest judge this week…we’re so happy to have you!

~Amanda

11. Amanda says:

If not this week, then definitely NEXT week! See you there!

~Amanda

12. Amanda says:

That is so funny! My boy hasn’t gotten quite so serious about it yet. He just wants to hurry so he can get back to summer fun!

~Amanda

13. Kimberlee says:

Those shoes are adorable. They look like they are out of a fashion magazine, LOL!

14. Robin says:

I just love the shoes! I’m going to go get me some zippers tomorrow!

15. I love the new zipper craze and your projects came out so well. Nicely done!

16. Jena says:

I would love to participate in one of your challenges.

17. Cheryl says:

Those look awesome! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

18. Kara says:

Love the zipper flowers and I am very jealous that you found zippers at the dollar store. I’ve had no such luck, but I’ll keep trying. 😉

19. Hand Winch  says:

wire baskets are great and they are also environment friendly compared to plastic bins”;;

20. Roulette says:

I don’t even know how I ended up right here, however I believed this post was once great. I don’t understand who you might be but certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger in case you are not already 😉 Cheers!

21. When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added”
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get several e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Thanks!

22. So first and foremost DO NOT shop at Macy’s on Monday or Tuesday unless there is a
    sale going on. Original Price: $200Clearance Price: $100Additional 40% off clearance price:
    $60 (40% off $100 equals to $40 off)15% off with your Macy’s Card:
    $51 (15% off $60 equals to $9 off)$10 off purchase of $25 or more
    coupon: $41 ($51 subtract $10 equals $41). What was not was the
    constant focus on Parcells as if he was the only coach in
    the game, which didn’t go unnoticed by the Packers
    and Coach Mike Holmgren. Coupons – Each Macy’s sale typically has a coupon of some sort
    to use, it may be a percentage off or a certain dollar amount off a purchase
    of $25 or more. His predecessor, Jim Otto, played from 1960 to
    1974, and was elected to the Hall of Fame. Now one could argue that all
    that win did was keep them in the running for a Wild Card spot, but the significance of what that win meant to them
    on a psychological level was monumental. Meanwhile the Washington redskins are
    on the opposite end of the fortune spectrum, in the midst of an utterly disappointing season that recently
    saw them get blasted by the Giants at home on Monday Night Football.

23. Otherwise, it would be this gray, dull, dead-looking thing, and no
    one in their right mind would buy that and eat it.

24. Check that clan on if you want me to do a one-time linking of your iOS clash of clans cheat tool device
    iPhon, iPod Touch, iPad download and play.

25. It did get one thing right: Us humans do have an insatiable need and desire for violence.
    Like jogos da polly, jogos de sinuca or pool games are also very popular.
    George Clooney directs an all-star cast in The Ides of March, a political corruption drama that’s been eclipsed by Occupy
    Wall Street and worldwide activism.

26. Leslee says:

frizzily frizzing frizzled frizzler frizzles frocking frogeyed
    frogeyes. An amateur theatre group arrives in a
    village to perform a consciousness-raising play about the dangers of atomic warfare.
    standup  stanged  stanine  staning  stannic  stannum  stanols  stanzas.

27. Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins too protect ayainst hackers?

I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any suggestions?